Welcome to our latest tool – the Individual Income Percentile Calculator by State! This straightforward, yet powerful tool provides a snapshot of where your income stands compared to others in your state.
To get started quickly, simply enter your state and annual income details. Please see the chart and the table generated below for a full picture of your results.
Please wait a moment for the calculator to load. This make take a few seconds. Thanks!
This earnings percentile calculator by state is very simple to use. First select your State and then enter in your annual salary in the box above and hit Calculate. The State and Annual Salary fields are the only mandatory fields. The rest are all optional.
The calculator also lets you compare your income against the median income for various categories. This helps you dive down further in to each category to get better insight.
If you leave the field to “All”, the broadest dataset is used. These inputs are optional. Here are some helpful commentary about the various inputs:
- Education: Select your level through the drop-down list. Please note the data-set here is limited to those aged 25 and over.
- Industry: Select your industry
- Gender: Where available, you can get data for each gender specifically. By default, data for both genders are displayed. The chart will be updated to show the income distribution by gender for the state.
- Race: Select the desired race from the box.
- Hours: By default the table shows the data for both all (part-time and full-time workers) and full-time only. If you’d like to simplify the output and just see the FT-only workers, then please select this option. But please note that data limits mean this is available only for certain combinations of inputs.
If you’re more comfortable thinking in terms of hourly wages, please use the Yearly Salary to Hourly Wage calculator to convert these annual figures in to an hourly wage.
This calculator uses data from the US Census Bureau which has data on 173 million workers across the US. Naturally the state information is captured in this data, so we can easily take a deeper dive in to the data to get the analytics at the state level.
The calculator presents the results in several different formats. First, the calculator shows how your income compares against the rest of the employed people in your chosen state. The result is shown in percentile format.
A chart is also helpfully shown. The percentile chart is updated based on the gender, so it will show you the income distribution by state for all genders, or for males or females only.
Then a table with the median income data is shown. This information is pulled from the census data. The median for the various combinations of education, race, industry, and occupation are shown against the entire population and male or female-only data.
Please note that certain combinations may have data available as we are limited by the data that is compiled by the Census Bureau.
Before You Go…
I hope you enjoyed using this income percentile calculator by state. If you do spot any errors, please feel free to leave a comment below or send us an email.
by Andrew Garcia
Andrew, an alumnus of South Florida State College, loves finance, fintech, and coding. When he’s not crunching numbers at the bank, he’s passionately writing about personal finance and building calculators for PFF. See more.